Sentry Safe problem
slats1
2008-12-23 18:15:00 UTC
Hello,
Have a small home Sentry safe, 3 number combination with a
manual key lock.
Have the combination but unable to open. I read some of the
information about pounding the door on the last number from the right,
left and upside down.
Still nothing. Some corrosion broke loose and and some
fine powder coming out.

ANY suggestions, besides pitching it,,, Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Steve ***@fuse.net
Roger Shoaf
2008-12-24 02:57:14 UTC
Post by slats1
Hello,
Have a small home Sentry safe, 3 number combination with a
manual key lock.
Have the combination but unable to open. I read some of the
information about pounding the door on the last number from the right,
left and upside down.
Still nothing. Some corrosion broke loose and and some
fine powder coming out.
ANY suggestions, besides pitching it,,, Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Quite often these safes will be left closed for extended periods and the
moisture from the insulation causes the door to rust shut. Usually when
they get to this point the cost of repair far exceeded the price of a
replacement.
--
Roger Shoaf
m***@notanywhere.net
2008-12-24 05:51:03 UTC
Post by slats1
Hello,
Have a small home Sentry safe, 3 number combination with a
manual key lock.
Have the combination but unable to open. I read some of the
information about pounding the door on the last number from the right,
left and upside down.
Still nothing. Some corrosion broke loose and and some
fine powder coming out.
ANY suggestions, besides pitching it,,, Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
am assuming you DO use the key-its required as well..

the combo, you ARE turning it the right way and number of turns?
yes? then turn the key? is the key turning? do you feel a slight
drag on the key while turning?

--Shiva--
slats1
2008-12-24 14:19:40 UTC
Post by slats1
Hello,
           Have a small home Sentry safe, 3 number combination with a
manual key lock.
Have the combination but unable to open.   I read some of the
information about pounding the door on the last number from the right,
left and upside down.
         Still nothing.   Some corrosion broke loose and and some
fine powder coming out.
ANY suggestions, besides pitching it,,,  Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 am assuming you DO use the key-its required as well..
 the combo, you ARE turning it the right way and number of turns?
yes? then turn the key? is the key turning? do you feel a slight
drag on the key while turning?
     --Shiva--
Thanks for the feedback. Here's the deal...... I've tried turning
the combination both ways, banged the door with a rubber hammer,
turned it upside down and banged it, and the manual key lock works
fine, not hanging up at all. This thing has corroded or something
inside. I need a drawing of the inside so I can understand what I'm
dealing with.
I'll mess with it somemore. I'll find a blueprint or
something.
Thanks again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Have a nice
Holiday !!!
This thing would make a nice boat anchor, or door
stop...............
m***@notanywhere.net
2008-12-25 06:01:12 UTC
Post by slats1
Post by slats1
[...]
they dont corrode unless severely abused..
went to Sentry site and found the dialing instructions for your
model..
I BET its a dialing error..
these are not like normal safes..

IIRR, this is a 3-2-1 sequence and STOP.
3 turns, 2 turns opposite and back to last number.
and it matters in which direction you start. does NOT work both
ways
--Shiva--
Roger Shoaf
2008-12-26 18:42:27 UTC
Post by m***@notanywhere.net
they dont corrode unless severely abused..
Unless you include letting them sit unopened for several years abuse, I will
disagree with this statement.
--
Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
m***@notanywhere.net
2008-12-27 05:28:47 UTC
Post by Roger Shoaf
Post by m***@notanywhere.net
they dont corrode unless severely abused..
Unless you include letting them sit unopened for several years abuse, I will
disagree with this statement.
I opened one that was SEVERELY corroded for whatever reason, yet
the inside and outside of it were perfectly clean and looked
'new'
the insulation had turned to powder..

--Shiva--